Re: Questions on Slack / *BSDs

On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 06:15:42PM -0400, Dan Brosemer wrote:
> > Could anyone using (or having used) Slackware please tell me what's
> > (particularly) good about it? -> What particular things made you
> > choose Slack?
>
> It was around and (IMO) better than Yggdrasil when I used it. :)

Where does Yggdrasil come from? Still around? Such a weird name.

> Not quite.  I believe it has some metadata.  I could just be attributing the
> OpenBSD packaging to Slackware, though... haven't used Slack in a long time.

What about the compatibility between them *BSDs? I mean in terms of
packaging systems.

> FreeBSD tries very hard to be blindingly fast on Intel hardware.  It succeeds
> in almost every respect.  Its disk I/O is absolutely incredible.  I use it
> on every webserver I set up.  As of late, they're also taking security to be
> a big concern.

Is it easy to maintain / keep FreeBSD up-to-date; perhaps as easy as
Debian Linux? You told me about OpenBSD being fairly simple in this
respect.

> OpenBSD is without a doubt the most securable/secure-by-default UNIX (and
> arguably operating system) available.  I use it for almost every other
> machine I set up (I don't for the machines that have a user sit at them,
> though, for that, I use Debian).  I love that it emails me with diffs on all
> files in /etc every night... that its default firewall is stateful (yeah, no
> ip_masq_icq module!)  It affords the control you had with Slackware, but
> gives you a ports tree (the three mentioned BSDs have a ports tree) which
> allows you to install packages with almost as much ease as apt.

What's the *easiest* way to obtain / install OpenBSD? I could not find
any ISOs for it, as opposed to FreeBSD. What's your experience with
this? (I have access to a cable modem *somewhere else*) Perhaps you have
some tips.

> > and AIX.
> I'm sorry. :)

:)
What (bad) experiences have you made with it? I hardly used it so far.

Finally, what would you suggest an obvious newbie like me to try from
those *BSDs?

Thanks a lot
Sven