Re: how to make a zImage

On  7, aug, 2000 at 04:08:00 +0800, Joey Kool wrote:
> Hi,
>   I have found the steps to making a new kernel. If I have a kernel-source.deb file, can I just do a make zImage supposing I have just installed debian with a bzImage?

Yes!

> regards,
> joey

AFAIK; Yes!
zImage vs. bzImage is a question of the size of the kernel, e.g. a
zImage has a certain max-size for it, if you compile a larger image than
that you need to do a bzImage or `make' will bomb out with an error
message.

Now, you say you _have_to_ have a zImage, so you just have to compile
all that you can as modules, and only have the bare essentials that you
need _in_ the kernel,  untill you partitions are mounted and you can
load the modules.

What that is you have to find out by studying the hardware of your
machine.

BTW: what book is it that you have read? I didn't know there were any
books on compiling a Linux kernel (and I think the kernel-docs and
various HOWTO's are OK :-)

HTH, HAND
		Morten

--