Re: only running one emacs..

Jonas Moberg wrote :

> > > If I got emacs running and type "emacs somefile", I'd like the
> > > emacs I already got running to open the file, not start a new
> > > emacs (atleast if I'm not in X). How?
> >
> > info -f /usr/share/info/emacs-e20.gz and search for 'server'...
> > or man emacslient..
>
> Thanks! Works fine!
>
> Just one little question.. is it possible to get remote hosts to
> display files on my local emacs using the server/client (or some
> other way..)? hm.. somewhat like X-forwarding, but only forward the
> text.. if you get what I mean =)

XEmacs comes with a thing called "gnuclient" (I think there's also a
port of it for Emacs) that you can configure to allow connections from
a list of other hosts, although it doesn't send the file over - you'd
need to be able to access it from the machine that's running emacs,
via NFS or whatever - I guess an ange-ftp/efs-style pathname might
also work, it's been years since I tried...

--
Andrew J Cosgriff <ajc@polydistortion.net> or something