Help needed

Just jumped into the slink-potato-bandwagon a week ago being rather tired of RH
and SuSE. Having the usual teething problems:

1. The init process in debian does not differentiate levels from 2 to 5, as a
consequence, I am forced to boot into x-windows thru "xdm". I am presently
bailing out to console using the /etc/init.d/xdm script with the option "stop".
I do not need "X" most of the times. Is there any other way I can boot
directly into the comnsole without starting my "X-server". I have not
tinklered around with my init process as yet.

2.  The BackSpace key needs fixing for "X". However placing xmodmap
parameters in .xsessions or .Xdefaults does not seem to correct the
problem, and I need to repeat the same over an xterm. Is there any
way out?

     Thanx

     Dr USM Bish

 --