Re: MC

David Wright <d.wright@open.ac.uk> writes:

> Quoting Christopher Clark (chris@maltwhiskey.demon.co.uk):
> > As an ex Rred Hat user, my midnight commander left me in the current working
> > directory when I F10 out of it.  The Debian version dumps me back to
> > the original directory.  Is there any way to convert my Debian potato MC
> > to the redhat style?
>
> man mc, and look at the -P option and the script given there.

Interestingly, the man page says:

              Please  don't  add  verbatim copies of the function
              definitions     below.     Source     the     files
              tively /usr/lib/mc/bin/mc.csh (tcsh users) instead.
              This  way you will not need to change your profiles
              if the function definitions are improved,  provided
              that  you don't compile MC with a different prefix.
              /usr/lib/mc/bin/mc.sh  (bash and zsh users) respec-
              tively /usr/lib/mc/bin/mc.csh (tcsh users) instead.
              This  way you will not need to change your profiles
              if the function definitions are improved,  provided
              that  you don't compile MC with a different prefix.

But my potato machine doesn't have any /usr/lib/mc/bin/mc.sh.  In
fact, I can't find any mc.sh or mc.csh anywhere on the machine.  So
one can get the desired effect by copying the shell function, but it
doesn't seem possible to follow the instructions given in the man
pages. Does it warrant a bug report?  Documentation should accurately
reflect the system.

--Miguel