Re: Debian in Academic and Public Organisations

My only concern is that these are x86 machines, not Sparcs.  My experience
is that Linux does not run as well as Solaris on the Sparc platform.
Specifically, RedHat 6.1 on a SUN4U box doesn't seem to play very nice with
the SCSI controller and the entire machine pauses for noticeable periods
under moderate disk activity.

I've also seen this behaviour from Linux running on x86 motherboards with
Via chipsets and UDMA66 drives.  Replacing the 80-pin cable with a 40-pin
cable clears the problem up nicely.  YMMV as always.