Re: new PC disk problem?

kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 10:27:59AM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> > I received a new Dell computer last week, and after a backup of
> > my system tar reported problems with one file.  While trying to
> > read that file, I get I/O errors:
> >
> >  hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
> >  hda: read_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=10360592,
>    sector=4464737
> >  end_request: I/O error, dev 03:02 (hda), sector 4464737
> >
> > Bad disk?
> > Should I contact Dell or test-torture it some more?
>
> ...did you run badblocks on it?

Just did, thanks.  I got the number of blocks on the partition
from fdisk like so:

# fdisk -l /dev/hda | grep hda2
/dev/hda2           368       877   4096575   83  Linux
# badblocks /dev/hda2 4096575
2232368
2232369
2232370
2232371
2232372
2232373
4096572
4096573
4096574

If I understand correctly, I should reboot using a rescue boot
disk (since this is on my root partition) and run:

# e2fsck -c /dev/hda2

       -c     This option causes e2fsck to run  the  badblocks(8)
              program  to  find  any  blocks which are bad on the
              filesystem, and then marks them as  bad  by  adding
              them to the bad block inode.
Right?

It's bad that a brand new disk has bad blocks on it, isn't it?

Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it a lot.

Peter