Re: [ctrl]-[alt]-[del] => 'shutdown -h now'

Hi

I think the line you are looking for will be in the startup file,
/etc/inittab somewhere.  Here are the apropriate lines from my own
(Slink) system's /etc/inittab file, along with the (very useful) lines
immediately below it in the file.

# What to do when CTRL-ALT-DEL is pressed.
ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -r now

# Action on special keypress (ALT-UpArrow).
kb::kbrequest:/bin/echo "Keyboard Request--edit /etc/inittab to let this work."

You should be able to edit your /etc/inittab as Root, find the line with
"shutdown" in it, and change the "-r" to a "-h".  Remember to use the
command "telinit q" (still as root) to make Init re-read the changed
file.

Note, If you never need to shut down your system using
[ctrl]+[alt]+[del], you can remap this key combination to _ANY_ command
line, not just "shutdown".  You can also edit /etc/inittab to assign a
command to [alt]+[up-arrow] as shown above.  One thing I have
experimented with is to assign [alt]+[up-arrow] to the command "pon",
and [ctrl]+[alt]+[del] to "poff".  I can then start and stop PPP on my
Debian box (which is my firewall/IP masq box), without needing to switch
my monitor on, wait for it to give a picture, and log in, or needing to
telnet in from the PC I want to surf from.

Regards

Simon Hales