Re: pseudo-image-kit (for Windows) problem

At 10:00 PM 7/29/00 -0400, Carl Fink <carlf@panix.com> wrote:

Well, you could download the floppy disk images and then just use apt
to complete the install over the Internet.  That's how I installed on
this very machine I'm typing on.  CDs do make it easier, though.
--
Carl Fink               carlf@dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum

I need CDs because the computer on which I plan to install Debian
(home) is not the same as the computer with the fast net connection
(work).

I did manage to work around the pseudo-image-kit(Windows) problem:
created a 1-byte target file (potato-i386-1.raw) and then ran
the rsync program, which worked just fine, exact command:
  rsync --verbose --progress --stats --block-size=8192
  aurolinux.mit.edu::potato_test-cycle-3/i386/potato-i386-1.raw .

As the documentation of the pseudo-image kit explains, you really
only need "rsync". The reason to first run "make-pseudo-image"
(pointing to any Debian package mirror) and then "rsync" (pointing
to a Debian CD image mirror) is just to shift most of the
download work from the CD image servers to the package servers
(thus reducing network traffic on the CD image servers).

Further, the first binary CD (for each architecture) is now
available on the main Debian ftp site, presumably to encourage
wider testing:
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian-cd/potato_test-cycle-3/

Lawrence H. Robins
Ceramics Division
Natl. Inst. of Stds. and Tech.
100 Bureau Dr., Stop 8522