Re: bash ls in color

On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 09:02:08PM -0700, Dale Morris wrote:
> what do I enter to get bash to default to showing files in color. I
> know I have to edit the /etc/bash.bashrc file, but don't remember the
> command to enter.

you should instead edit your own userid's ~/.bashrc and add the
following:

export LS_OPTIONS='--color=auto'
eval `dircolors`
alias ls='ls $LS_OPTIONS'

you can add that to /etc/profile or /etc/bash.bashrc if you really
want it to be a global setting, but keep in mind not all people like
colorized ls, so i would leave it as a user option (put it in
/etc/skel/.bashrc as an example for new users if you like)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/