xmms shared library fault

I'm running woody and have downloaded the xmms package. There is a
problem with it, everything works fine but the shared library file
isn't working properly. When I try use the playlist editor to select
files in a directory it doesn't show them in the playlist window. When
I configured it in netscape to play streaming audio mpgurls and error
message came up complaining about the the shared libraries. I have
uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times to no avail. I'm
wondering if this is a file permission thing or something. Any
suggestions?  thanks -- dale