FAT32 issues

Hello all,

I have my system setup to dual boot win2k and Debian 2.3.  I would like to be able to access my large fat32 partition from both OSes.  Whenever I mount the drive from the prompt or out of fstab (options are default,user, error=read-only) ownership by user/group depends on who mounts the drive.  This is fine, and I can read data from the partition, but I cannot write even as root.  When I attempt to write anything to the partition, I get an "operation not permitted"

Needless to say, I'd like to write to the drive, because I spend most of my time in linux, but I would like to share my documents and mp3s and such with both OSes...

Any help is appreciated,

Matt