Re: Wine Windows Emulator

On Sun, Jul 30, 2000 at 02:23:20AM -0700, Thomas Loredo wrote:
> I am a newbie to the Linux OS and I am using Corel Linux.  I was trying to install the Wine emulator and can't figure out how to do this, if anyone can help please do so?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom Loredo

You should use dselect, or a similar Package Manager program (I half remember that Corel
has a sort of 'gnome-apt'), to install the debian packages named
'libwine' and 'wine'.

My advise : if you think to run all or most of your windows programs with wine,
you could be disappointed. As far as I know, it is still ALPHA-quality software,
and many window applications do not run under it. Last time I checked, I downloaded
their March 2000 release (20000326) and the most complex program I could run was
Paint.(I'm sure it can do more than this; not with my programs, anyway).

Moreover, the version with ships with Corel is probably old ( I don't know : on
the network edition CD I have, wine is not present ).

If you want to run a single application or a few ones, you may be lucky. Before
installing wine, I suggest to check their web site: they keep a list of all the
programs which have successfully run under Wine.

Ciao
--
FB