Re: .deb packages and X

Chris Cameron wrote:
> 2 quick questions,
> Where can I find an XFree86 server newer than 3.3.2.3 in a .deb file, and

I'm not sure what version potato has, but woody has 3.3.6  If you are
wanting to stay with slink, you can add the line:
deb http://www.debian.org/~vincent/ slink-update main
to your /etc/sources.list to get 'em.

If, on the other hand, you are willing to go with woody, just change your
/etc/sources.list to point at woody and do a dist-upgrade.  I've been using
woody for a few months now - it's doing just fine.

> how can I tell what packages I already have installed?

dpkg -l
It's likely to be a long list, so you might want to either pipe it through a
pager - I use "dpkg -l | less" - or you could redirect it into a file.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD   | He that is slow to believe anything and
                      | everything is of great understanding,
'91 GS500E            | for belief in one false principle is the
Morgantown WV         | beginning of all unwisdom.