RE: DNS setup help

On 29-Jul-2000 montgomery f. tidwell wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> i'm trying to configure a Q650 as a firewall. i think that i have the
> ipchains stuff working correctly, but i can't get DNS lookups to
> work. i can ping ip#'s but if i try to ping a site by name
> (www.yahoo.com)
> it just hangs for a long time then gives no output.
>
> isn't there a easy way to set it up so that DNS queries are passed to
> my ISPs name servers?

Are you starting your ipchains rules from /etc/ppp/ip-up ?
In my experience, problems result when I have started my firewall rules before
my connection is up.  I don't have problems when I start my firewall rules
from /etc/ppp/ip-up.

If I start my rules when the machine boots, I have problems.
Do you have some rule that is blocking port 53?

--
Andrew