Re: char-major-6

> On 28-Jul-2000 Erik Mathisen wrote:
> > I keep getting this stupid error in my syslog:
> >
> > modprobe: can't locate module char-major-6
> >
> > now i searched my system, I dont have that module, how do I get this
> > error to stop?  It puts 2 or 3 entries in the log a minute.
> >
> > Any help would greatly be appreciated,
> >
> > Erik
>
> I've had the same problem, but with block-major-8 (scsi-disk). Since I don't
> have scsi devices, I appended an "alias block-major-8 off" to
> /etc/modutils/aliases and ran update-modules. After that I didn't get the
> message anymore.

char-major-6 are the parallel ports.
I believe that making your own kernel with
	CONFIG_PRINTER
can solve it too. This solution has the advantage that it enables you keep
using your parallel ports.
You should be able to verify in /boot/config$YOUR_KENEL_VERSION whether
CONFIG_PRINTER it is currently set.