mounting floppy

I'm trying to mount a floppy that I made with Redhat 6.2 system. It mounted on a previous install of potato, but I reinstalled and now  when I try to mount it I get the following  error message:
[I cannot determine the file type and none was specified]
This floppy has lots of stuff on it that I would like to use for configuration, such as .rc files and such. Any suggestions on what I've done wrong or how I can get it to mount?
I superformatted a floppy (although I had to use the /sbin/mke2fs -c /dev/fd0 argument) and it mounts fine, as do msdos disks.
thanks
dale