Re: [why is kernel recompilation necessary?]

Hm, I guess my question was unclear. What I'm wondering about is
how the linux kernel works and how the windows kernel works. I know
that one of them is open source and the other isn't. At the same time
I'm too lazy to dig deeply for this information. So I guess I was hoping
someone would post an answer like, "The windows kernel maps a piece of
memory to an adapter on the motherboard, and the drivers sit in that memory"
or "The linux kernel has hooks for every possible module, and these
hooks do/don't have to be explicitly compiled in every time a new
module is installed", etc.
-chris