Help with apt-get through a proxy

First let me apologize for the seemingly basic question but I have exhausted
all the documentation on apt and I don't know where else to turn.

What I'm trying to do is to get apt-get to work through a SOCKS firewall.
Now, I basically know nothing about SOCKS but I have the IP address and port
from the network guys. I've tried various settings of the http_proxy
environment variable but I just can't seem to get it to work. If someone
could help me along it would be greatly appreciated!

Please CC: me directly on your response as I'm not actually subscribed to
the list.

Thanks,
Ian.

--