bug in xdm 3.3.6-10 ??

Hi all,

Have I done something wromg or is this a bug?
Running potato, with lots of old potato packages
(I update random packages infrequently :)
Upgraded xdm last night, and in now won't log
users (or root) in.

Instead of saying "Debian GNU/linux" it says
"Xwindow system". The /var/log/xdm.log includes:
###
AUDIT: <date...> client 2 rejected from local host
   Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID: -1
###
Modifying /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config
DisplayManager._0.authorize    true
to "false" fixes this, but obviously this isn't a
good solution for networked machines.

It may be a PAM-related thing?? Older versions
weren't linked against pam (sorry should have
checked before I left home today).

Packages:
xdm_3.3.6-10
xlib6_3.3.5-1
xlib6g_3.3.6-10
xserver-svga_3.3.5.1

I'm not really worried about a solution for me - it's
the general public I'm worried about :)

John.

PS
 I'm not on the list, but assuming all messages make
it through to the newsgroup I'll see replies.
Perhaps cc: them just to make sure.