Re: Newbie question

Declan Grady wrote:

> I have a Dell Latitude LS, and read the how-to at
> www.divisionbyzero.com/laptop/   but I cant figure out how to build a new
> kernel (to include support for ethernet adaptor)

Step-by-step instructions are included with the kernel
sources, whether you get the Debian package, or the
tarball from kernelhq.org.  After dl'ing the source,
and decompressing/de-archiving, typically in /usr/src
with `tar xzvf <tarballname>.tar.gz`, cd to the
directory created, ls to identify the docs, read
them, particularly README (IIRC).  Also, there
is a Documentation subdirectory which has specific
instructions on various devices and drivers.

> Any FAQ's on this subject ?

You may want to drill down through the links
on http://www.linuxdoc.org, to find the Kernel-HOWTO

--
Bolan.Meek@wcom.com 972-729-5387
bolan@koyote.com (home phone on request)