init.d

I've been having some problems getting startup scripts to work. Particularly with MySQL (latest binary release). From what I know, you're supposed to put the script in /etc/init.d and make a sym-link to /etc/rcX.d right? In any case, I put the script in init.d and made a symlink (S99mysql.server -> ../init.d/mysql.server) in rc3.d, but nothing happens at startup. I remeber having this problem before and fixing it, but now I can't remember what I did. Running potato (not like it makes a difference, I was running slink the other time). Anyway, if I've missed some critical step, please let me know. =)

Oh yeah.. the script and the symlink DO work directly from the command line. i.e. "/etc/init.d/mysql.server start" works. I've even tried echo testing the script, and have determined that it's not even being run at startup.

Thanks
RK