Re: Monitoring program

You could try mounting, if that fails then use dd to try and read the
device.  If it succeeds, then there is a disk there but without a normal
filesystem.  You might then assume it is a special boot image floppy, or
if you know what sort of magic information to look for, you could try
checking for that, too.

Just some thoughts, I've never tried to do anything like this.