Re: network/ethernet card configuration problem?

James Polson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm completely new to Linux, so the solution to my problem
> may be trivial to all of you experienced Debian Linux users
> (so I hope!).
>
> I'm trying to install Debian Linux (mostly with success), but
> I think that I'm having problems connecting with the ethernet
> card in my computer.
>
> The symptoms are:
>
> (1) A message during booting that is something like "network is
>       unreachable" (I don't know what log file to look for to get the
>       exact wording).
>
> (2) When I type "ifconfig -a", I should see listings for two
>       interfaces, "lo" and "eth0", but the second one (the ethernet
>       one) is not there.
>
> (3) Not surprisingly, telnet, ftp, etc. can't be used.
>
> (4) In the /var/log/syslog file, there is a message:
>
>       cardmgr[189]: starting, version is 3.0.5
>       cardmgr[189]: no sockets found!
>       cardmgr[189]: exiting
>
>       I think that this problem reported is related.
>
> Information about my system:
>
> (1) I have a D-Link DE 220 card.
>
> (2) I have the NC2000 driver in /lib/modules/2.0.36/net
>       This is the appropriate driver for the card, according
>        to the D-Link website.
>
> I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me with
> this problem. Until it's fixed, I have to rely on Windows 95
> :(  to connect to the internet.

You need to configure eth0 and your cards kernel module (driver).

>From Ethernet-HOWTO may find correct settings for the module. Then you
have to put these setting to a file to /etc/modutils/<some-file> and run
update-modules.

You need to configure eth0 before. I am not an expert here, but
configuration depends much on what you are trying to do. (For my cable
modem I had to just install a debian package dhcpcd. If you are
connecting to LAN or something, that's different.) Take a good look to
Linux Networking-HOWTO (aka  NET3-HOWTO):
http://www.linux.com/howto/NET3-4-HOWTO.html

Probably you can find this HOWTO from you Linux machine's /usr/doc/HOWTO
directory too.

NOTE: If you are completely new to Linux you should consider purhasing a
good book, something like "Running Linux" from O'Reilly. Also read
HOWTOs.

 WYSINWYG - What You See Is Never What You Get

 Esko Lehtonen
 esko dot lehtonen (a) pp dot htv dot fi