Re: Helix Code Packages

Timothy Ritchey wrote:
> Greetings!
> I have a debian system running woody, and tried to load up the HelixCode
> using their installer. Everything seemed to work okay, but even though I
> selected the full install, many packages were not installed (such as the
> 1.1.24 gimp, etc.) When I did an apt-get update, apt-get upgrade. It said
> there were no updated packages, and when I tried apt-get install gimp, or
> searched for the packages in dselect they did not appear.
>
> Here is the confusing part - once I had dselect update, the packages
> appeared, and I could install them. Is there something I don't know about
> apt-get update? I assumed it would have updated the package list. Am I doing
> something wrong?

Sounds like it.  What is this installer you mention?  I also run woody on
two machines here, and both are using Helix Gnome.  All I did to get that
installed was to add a line into my /etc/apt/sources.list for the Helix
site, run apt-get update, and then apt-get install task-helix-gnome  And
that's all it took.  For reference, my sources.list is:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://spidermonkey.helixcode.com/distributions/debian unstable main
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://kde.tdyc.com woody kde2 kde contrib

The third line down is, of course, the line for the Helix Gnome stuff.  Add
that line into your sources.list, run the update, then do the install of the
task-helix-gnome package, and you should be good to go.  In fact, that'll
install so many packages you might want to go back through and thin out a
few of 'em.  I'm slowly in the process of doing just that, though I'm in no
rush at all.

As for what dselect was doing, ya got me.  Me and dselect have never gotten
along, so I ignore it completely in favor of apt-get.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
                              |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"
'91 GS500E                    |
Morgantown WV                 |  Only dead fish go with the flow.