RE: Some basic unix commanding, more please:

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Frodo Baggins wrote:

> In debian dist there is a perl scrip called
> rename, which allows you to transform your filenames as you
> please:). For instance, to transform ONE.HTM, TWO.HTM, THREE.HTM into
> one.html, two.html, three.html you write:
>
> rename 'y/A-Z/a-z/;s/\.htm$/.html/g' *.HTM
>
> to just transform all names from uppercase to lowercase you can use
>
> rename 'y/A-Z/a-z/' *

This:

rename 'y/A-Z/a-z/;s/\.htm$/.html/g' *.HTM

looks very very
BEATIFUL
to my eyes!

(I'm an old matchematician, besides that sanskrit, Japanese and Chinse
scholar as well, I've studied Buddhism for some years.)

I wanted to learn Perl after seeing this command.

But, ALAS!

My box doesn't know the 'rename' command yet.
In which package is that command available?

hvirtane@cc.jyu.fi