Re: SCSI tape errors

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000 13:34:13 +1200, zdrysdal@diagnostic.co.nz wrote:

>i have set up a SCSI DAT tape onto debian slink with kernel 2.0.38 and nfs
>(no_root_squash) mounted an IBM AIX directory.  I use a simple backup
>program which tars the files from the AIX directory onto tape.  It works
>for a little while but i think it gets into trouble when it trys to
>proccess a large file (200MB).  I started the backup at 9:30pm and it
>started having problems by 11pm.
[...]
>tar: Read error on /dev/st0: Input/output error
>tar: Too many errors, quitting
>tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
>
>I tried doing a tar listing of the tape this morning and it said the the
>start record was unable to be read.

Is the read/write head clean? Is the tape ok, or has it worn out? Is your
SCSI bus clean (i.e. properly terminated, cable within max. length, etc.)?
Is the drive ok?

Too many questions, but you need to answer them before we can help.

--
Sign the EU petition against SPAM:          L I N U X       .~.
http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        The  Choice      /V\