Re: dselect doesn't work on 8Meg machine anymore?

markm@student.unsw.edu.au [markm@student.unsw.edu.au] wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 05:21:03PM +0930, Mark Phillips wrote:
> > My brother is trying to upgrade debian from slink to potato on his
> > 8Meg RAM machine.  He has about 20Meg swap as well.  Dselect is very
> > very slow --- lots of swapping.  And try to install stuff, and it
> > bombs out with not enough memory!
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> I have a similar machine and guessed that this would be a problem.
> Although I am going to leave mine with slink, I briefly toyed with
> the following idea:
>
> The problem is the huge package lists that are used for the dependency
> checkings. Obviously, with these lowend machines, you probably won't
> be installing all the gnome libs and a lot of other stuff. So why not
> remove anything that depends on say xlib, or has doc in it ... from
> the package lists? Hopefully, you may be able to chop out 50% or so
> from the total number of packages. This should at least speed things up
> considerably.

Yes, that is obviously the problem.  It seems a potentially hazardous
solution however.  It will be good if Debian eventually comes out with
"virtual" distributions, ie a partial listing of packages, tailored to
certain needs.  I did hear rumours of this kind of idea being
implemented, but I don't know if anything's been done about it.

In the meantime, we're going to create some extra swap space, and wait
forever for it to install everything.

Cheers,

Mark.

--