I believe Magnus wanted to know what happened to the Debian package.

>From my understanding it was axed because of a restrictive license,
essentially requiring permission from Columbia U. before being
redistributed. I believe CU had a proposed change to the license to
make it less restrictive but I don't know if they finalized it or
not. I did see a message from the former maintainer that you can pick
up a deb file from the URL

http://master.debian.org/~vaidhy/kermit/ckermit

If further info is desired you can go to the Debian website and search
the debian-devel mailing list for "kermit" to find out what the
specifics are. I think there's even a contribution to the thread by
THE Kermit guy, Frank da Cruz.

Gary