Re: dropping support for cvsweb in debian

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 05:01:29PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Hi, I'm the maintainer of the cvsweb package for Debian.
>
> Since I took on maintaining cvsweb, I have fixed about 10 very stupid
> bugs. Several of these could be security holes. Cvsweb is great in
> concept, but the implementation is quite lacking. The design is such
> that I expect security holes and stupid bugs will contine to crop up
> unless a fuill rewrite is done.
>
> Luckily, we have such a rewrite. It's called viewcvs and is already a
> part of debian unstable. I've been playing around with it for a few
> hours, and it is a near exact clone of cvsweb's user interface, and
> seems to not be vulnerable to any of the problems I've found in cvsweb.
>
> So I'm thinking about dropping cvsweb from Debian unstable entirely.
> Viewcvs could then Replace it.
>
> I'd like to know what any interested parties feel about this plan.

    As a 3-year cvsweb user, I've just tried viewcvs, and I like it.  I
wouldn't have any problem losing cvsweb; viewcvs seems to be just better.

    Peace,
* Kurt Starsinic (kstar@orientation.com) ---------- Senior Network Engineer *
|      "All things change, and we change with them." -- Alexander Pope      |