Re: su question

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 11:22:38PM +0200, gianluca@pluto.linux.it wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 03:14:55PM +0200, tom wrote:
> >  howdy guys,
> >
> > This is one of those things that has
> > been pestering me. while logged in as a user in x, how can I
> > edit files that require su privilages? (like /etc/fstab). I
> > usually su from eterm and "jed filename". can I su from within
> > emacs? nedit?
>
> I use this method
>
> [Gianluca][~] => xhost + localhost
> localhost being added to access control list
> [Gianluca][~] => su
> Password:
> [ROOT][gianluca] #

sudo alleviates the need for this. I suggest using that where you are
interested in an easier method. Also, sudo requires a password just like
su, but caches that access. This means that you can use sudo again within
like 15 minutes (configurable) without having to type your password again.
Plus sudo allows you to use your own password, as opposed to the root
password.

Ben