HD Troubles

Hi, I have been having a odd hd problem.

I have a machine that has 2 Promise Ultra 66 cards installed plus the
on board interfaces.  The first card (hde - hdg) works fine.  The second
card (hdi - hdl) on the other hand does not.  When booting the kernel
finds the card, and the hard drive attached and sees the partition on
it.  When I go to format the partition it says that the device is not
configured.  fdisk also fails.  The devices are there (in /dev), I created
them with MAKEDEV after installing the card.

This is a bit frustrating, it seem like it should work!

Thanks,

                 -Matt-