Apach mod_include

One of the web servers here (Debian 2.2 apache 1.3 (i think) ) has a perl script/cgi that is a basic text counter. we have had it running on previous servers but i cant seem to get it running on this one. the script requires mod_include which i have uncommented in /etc/apache/httpd.conf and then done a /etc/init.d/apache restart. all to no avail. i have made a small page to test if it works and it hasnt so far. page consists of

this is the counter <br><br>

<!--#exec cgi="/cgi-bin/counter.pl"-->
<!--#exec cmd="/bin/echo Hey there"-->
<!--#printenv -->

Which should give at least a little output to let me know its working, unfortunately it doesnt.