Re: Apache Web Server question

On Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 07:55:38PM -0700, Jay Kelly wrote:
> Hello Group,
> Im running apache and have /var/www as the root directory. I wanted
> to add another folder so I added var/www/file and when I try to
> access html from the directory I get access denied. I looked in
> the apachpe error.log and see Permission denied: file permission deny
> server access: /var/www/files/download.htm.
>
> So how do I add folders and set the permission to allow web access?
> thanks Jay

Directories must have read and execute permissions for user "www-data"
(world read/execute if not owned by www-data or not with a www-data
group's permissions).  Files must be readable by www-data.  CGI scripts
must be executable by www-data.

...assuming your apache server is running as user www-data.  This is the
Debian default, YMMV.

I'd try that first.

eg:

    $ ls -ld /var/www
    drwxr-xr-x    7 root     www-data     1024 May 30 00:38 /var/www

.../var/www is set group www-data and has read and execute permissions.