creating debs

Hi all

Given a source tarball, how to best install that into the system?

My suggestion would be to create a .deb archive and to then install that
using dpkg -i. Now, I have never created my own .deb apart from doing this
with make-kpkg and apt-get source -b, so I am not familiar with the
"internals" or much more the necessary contents of a debian archive for
it to be one.

I know though that dpkg-deb has the capability to build .deb archives.
As I know *nothing* more than that, I don't know what to do next to get
my source tarball (LAME) compiled and installed...?

Any help appreciated. :)
--
S. Burgener