Re: telnet vs ^Z

On Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 09:17:46AM +0200, Alberto Rodríguez Ortega wrote:
> Hi Will,
>
> At 13.23 29/6/00 -0500, Will Trillich wrote:
> >i've got linux in the basement, cranking and serving
> >like a dream. to administer, i'm upstairs and i get
> >in via telnet on my local 192.168.*.* intranet.
> >
> >on the console (linux keyboard/mouse/monitor) i can
> >use ^Z to suspend a foreground job, just like in the
> >documentation.
> >
> >but ^Z seems to be ignored when i get in via telnet
> >even tho stty shows 'susp = ^Z'.
>
> i'm a bit lost,
>     r u trying to sup the telnet or just a aplication on the server where u
> are connected via telnet?

yes, i was a bit unclear on that point. <blush>heh.</blush>

i'm trying to get my telnet session to behave as if
i was at the console: if i'm in VI i wanna be able to ^Z
to get to the shell prompt.

my telnet client is running on a mac, which has no
clue about suspend/fg/bg. :)

i want the remote (linux server) full-screen process
(mutt, vi, etc) to suspend when i send ^Z, despite the
fact that i'm using telnet, and not sitting at the
console.

hell, i just tried it from the perl debugger, which
doesn't even use curses/ncurses for its dialogue,
and ^Z blinks the screen there, too, with no
suspend signal being sent to the job.

"i want my control-Z!" (waaah!)

> Have u cheked the binding at the remote server?
> Are u using 'screen'? If u r using a aplication which is getting al your
> keyboard controled (up the the shell) take care with that.

so, yes, all the settings below are from the server.
(ask a mac what an environmental variable is, and
you get deaf silence. comes from being a single-user
environment.)