Re: Trident giving me migraine

On Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 09:38:52PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> Mark Marburger wrote:
> >
> > HELP!  my old video card sucked, so my friend gave me his Trident card.  I
> > put it in the box and now when i boot, the screen is friggin black!!!!  How
> > do I get into xf86config to change the settings??

I had what could be a similar problem when I was trying to get my voodoo 3 to
work.  I had foolishly set my box to runlevel 5 so it kept trying to fire up
gdm on boot, and it would keep trying, failing, retrying without givimg me
enough time to even hig ctrl-alt-backspace or switch to another tty to shut
things down.
I eventually fixed it by booting via the Mandrake CD (which is what's on that box)
and when I got to the installation part, I switched over to another tty (F4 I think)
which was set up in single user mode (could be a nasty security flaw, but....).  From
there I could get to the main drive and alter the init files to change to runlevel 3,
and reboot.

-tom

--
"I've been to one world's fair, a picnic and a rodeo and that's the stupidest
thing I've ever heard" - Major Kong