Re: Manipulating file content

Bolan Meek wrote:

> > this one is for all the regexp, shell, and editing-experts...
>
> How about us perl hackers, hunh?!  Got sumpin' g'inst us, buddy!?

Of course not!  How could I?!  :)

> Well, you could use regexp in sed, or use an awk script, but if
> I had only 3x3 matrices to transform, in text, I'd
> perl -e 'for ($i=0;$i<3;++$i){<>;@entry = split ',';print
> "$i[0],$i[1],$i[2]\n";}'
> with a file directed into it, and stdout redirected to a file.

This ..., well ..., it doesn't work.  At first I thought that you meant
@entry[x] in your last line, but that doesn't help either.  I always get
3 pairs of commas without the values.  Besides, the way I read the code,
it doesn't do anything usefull, because a line with values seperated by
commas, will become exactly the same line.  But then again, I don't know
anything about Perl, so this is just guessing.

> Matrixes with unpredetermined columns or rows become slightly
> trickier, but only by 1) keeping track of the length/breadth, and
> 2) nesting another loop.

What about matrixes with a different number of columns and rows (e.g.
4x3 or 123x234)?

MfG Viktor
--
Viktor Rosenfeld