Re: Compiling a new kernel and dselect problems

On Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 10:28:12AM +0200, Luca De Giorgi wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm a new entry in the worderful Debian world.
> Previously i'd used Red Hat 6.x ad Mandrake but i thought i' was time to
> make a jump in the real Linux world and started using a potato release
> Well, my problem arise when i want to build a custom kernel the Debian-way.
> When i built it i found a .deb package ready to install. I dpkg -i the
> kernel image.
> My system warns me that there is a kernel image with the same name
> installed yet (my version has a revision of my own) but i proceed.
> All goes well but whe i try to install a new package using dselect, in
> the Install session, dselect tells me he wants to upgrade my custom
> kernel with the standard kernel having the same name kernel so i've to
> interrupt the installation of my packages.
>
> Can somebody tell me ho to solve this problem ? Can i build the custom
> kernel with a different name (not only the revision name) ?

What is happening is that Debian has a version of the same kernel with
a revision number higher than what you are using for your custom
kernel.  To prevent an "upgrade", you need to specify an epoch on the
make-kpkg command line, such as:

make-kpkg --revision=3:custom.1.0 kernel_image

This is discussed in /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz.

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          nielsen@oz.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.oz.net/~nielsen