truetype fonts and xfree86 4

 i installed the pre-compiled xfree86 4 binaries from ftp.xfree86.org on
a woody system, and have a

   Load "freetype"

line in my /etc/X11/XF86Setup.  it all works perfectly except xlsfonts
doesn't load Truetype fonts, and so i can't use them in gimp/netscape
etc either.

 what do i have to do to get truetype fonts working?  i presume i have
to put a directory in XF86Config (maybe another FontPath?), have the
fonts in the directory, and do something to create some sort of index.

 (please cc me privately as well as the list, i'm just reading the archives
this week.)

regards,
-vincent

.