apt-get error

I have slink installed on a machine at work. This box sits behind a
firewall. My /etc/apt/sources.list is configured so as to point to the
frozen distribution. I can install individual packages fine, e.g.
"apt-get install octave" works fine. However, when I try "apt-get
dist-upgrade", I get the following error ...

Get:1 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main exim 3.12-10 [651kB]
Err http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main debianutils 1.13.3
  500 Cache Detected Error

This continues for every file. Any suggestions?

I have searched through the Debian FAQ, apt-get man page, debian-user
archives, and google.com for some reference to this error, with no luck.
Any other places I could/should have looked at?

TIA.

--
R. Wayne McCorkle -+- mccorkle@pcisys.net -+- http://www.pcisys.net/~mccorkle

Debian/GNU Linux - check it out at http://www.debian.org