Re: can't install kernel/modules from cd-rom

On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 12:06:28PM -0400, Curt Salada wrote
> Thanks for your help, John.  Taking your advice, here's what I found:
>
> My 2 hard drives appear in the dmesg list as hda and hdb, floppies as fd0
> and fd1.  The CD-ROM doesn't appear specifically, but I do get the following
> SCSI-related errors in dmesg:
>
> NCR 53c406a: no available ports found
> Failed initialization of WD-7000 SCSI card!

That's OK; the default kernel has drivers for all sorts of stuff,
this is just a driver for a device you don't have.

> (Transcript of complete dmesg at
> http://americasisp.net/hp/debbie/curt/dmesg.txt)
>
> I saw nothing inside the PC that indicated this was an SCSI CD-ROM.
> Motherboard has 3 cards connected to it:
>
> 1. video board (outputs to monitor)
> 2. interface board(?) has IDE port (connects to HDDs), floppy port, serial
> port, game port, printer port
> 3. "CD-ROM DRIVE 16 BIT I/F CARD" -- goes to CD-ROM (Mitsumi 2x Model
> CRMC-FX0010, dated May '94) -- card also has stereo RCA output jacks

Bingo!

You have what's called a "proprietary CDROM", which is supported
by the installation system using a loadable kernel module.

This means that you must make a drivers floppy (much as you
presumably made a boot/rescue floppy) and load the module for
your CDROM from that floppy before you install the base system,
during the "Install kernel and modules" dialog.

The driver you need is probably the 'mcd' (Mitsumi CDROM) or
'mcdx' (Mitsumi CDROM with extended features) driver, and
your CDROM device will be /dev/mcd or /dev/mcdx, respectively.

I don't recall now what category these drivers appear under
when you load modules - it may be CDROM, Misc, or something
else.

HTH,

John P.
--