Re: Can NIS go through firewall

In article <cistron.3957CA6A.F076B9@neptuno.uevora.pt>,
Mario Jorge Nunes Filipe  <rpaz@uevora.pt> wrote:
>We're trying to get NIS to work arround here. When testing locally
>everything is ok, but we wan't it to work across two different networks
>and there is a firewall in between.
>We've tryed to open up the firewall but without results.

You'll have to open up _all_ UDP and TCP ports for the local and
remote networks, since this is a RPC service of which you cannot
know which port it will run on in advance

>Has anyone got any comments on this?

Use /etc/yp.conf on the remote clients to point to the right NIS
server(s) since broadcasting to find the NIS servers won't work
as well.

Mike.