Re: can't mount cd-rom

From: "Petr [Dingo] Dvorak" <dingo@pdragon.inetsolve.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 23:38:25 -0500 (CDT)

>On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Andrew Dixon wrote:
>
>-=[Snip]=-

>AD> >That's greek to me, too. I think that's a hardware problem.
>AD> >Does your cd-drive work on windows?
>AD> >Or the CD you have is broken.
>AD> >
>AD> Dude that's the weird thing.  I can install Windows from the CDROM, and I installed Debian on to my laptop from the CD.  I'm going to try to recompile the kernel with support for my sound board in it to see if that helps.
>
>try to add this in your /etc/lilo.conf, i used to had two NEC 260's drives what
>would do the same thing if i didn't have this in the lilo.conf.
>
>append="hdc=cdrom"

I tried this and I still get the same error.  I even tried to mount /dev/hdc with the drive open (I figured if it was complaining about it anyway why not) and it closed the door, kept giving the error

bay open or drive not ready

and then failed.

Do you have any other suggestions or did you change any other configurations on your machines?  The only difference I can see is that my drive is a NEC: 273.  It does run off of the sound board too.

Thanks,
Andy