strange eth0 error

I have a somewhat unpredictable problem with my network card. it's using
the tulip driver module with potato and kernel 2.2.15.

sometimes, without any noticeable pattern yet, after I do
ifconfig eth0 192.168.36.1

it will wait a while and then start spitting this out over and over:

eth0: Tx hung, 7 vs. 0
eth0: Transmit timed out, status e4060000, CSR12 000000c6, resetting...

this repeats until I do ifconfig eth0 down. the only thing that changes is
that the hex number after CSR12 is either 000010c6 or 000010ce each other
time it appears. the message appears on all of the virtual terminals,
regardless of whether or not I'm logged in there.

this happened once soon after I installed the card. then it disappeared
for a few days and now it's back. I've tried rebooting, but the problem
remains.

tia,
-david

---