Re: Setting up read-write access for local CVS

Preben Randhol <randhol@pvv.org> writes:

> I have installed cvs on my machine and want to use it so that I as a
> user can check in and out files.
>
> When I as a user ran:
> cvs import -m "Created directory structure" Ada95/Touch obliord start
>
> I got:
>
> cvs import: Sorry, you don't have read/write access to the history file
> cvs [import aborted]: /var/cvs/CVSROOT/history: Ikke tilgang
>
> (Ikke tilgang = No access)
>
> This was of course not surprisingly. My question is how do one setup cvs
> so that one gets read write access?
>
> Should one:
>
> 1. Create a cvs group and give this group ownership with r/w to the
>    repository and add users to this group?
> 2. Use the setuid bit on cvs?
> 3. Other solution (which?)

I'd say 3.  The history file needs to be world writeable for even such
a simple thing as checking out files of the repository (basically just
read access of the repository).  If you don't want history logging you
can just remove the file (as root).

I don't know what your set up is like, but if you are only interested
in a personal repository, that is you are the only user, you could put
the repository in $HOME and be done with any an all permission hassle.

In our group I've set things up so that every CVS module is owned by a
(different) group and folks that need to commit code are made members
of that group.  The history file is world writeable, for now.

Just for reference a little bit of our /pub/cvs:

  drwxrwxr-x    4 root     cvsadmin     4096 Jun  9 14:31 CVSROOT
  drwxrwsr-x    4 root     calendar     4096 Jun 15 08:30 calendar
  drwxrwsr-x    2 root     r-and-d      4096 May 31 08:50 cvs-sample

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen       Epson Kowa Corporation, Research and Development