x not starting. suspicious permissions

When I try to start X, I get the following message:

  X: server socket directory has suspicious ownership, aborting.

and nothing else until I stop it with ctrl-c.

What exactly is the server socket directory?

I recently upgraded X to the latest version in unstable from the
unstabel version from a week ago.

Thanks in advance.

--
Pat Mahoney  <pat7@gmx.net>

I cannot overemphasize the importance of good grammar.
.
What a crock.  I could easily overemphasize the importance of good
grammar.  For example, I could say: "Bad grammar is the leading cause
of slow, painful death in North America," or "Without good grammar, the
United States would have lost World War II."
                -- Dave Barry, "An Utterly Absurd Look at Grammar"