[lcdproc] problem with contrast

Note this email is going to both the lcdproc mailing list and the debian
mailing list.

I did what you said, and here is the problem:

leko:/etc/init.d#./lcdproc start
Starting LCDproc: lcdproc.
Invalid parameter: "--contrast
Invalid parameter: 200"

It seems to be treating the "--contrast 200" differently when its on the
command line and when its run from within the script.  I don't
understand the need for quotation marks in the first place on the
command line, that strikes me as a little strange, but given that they
are necessary, how can I get around this problem?

-Aaron

P.S. For those of you on the debian list, the proper command line syntax
I'm going for is: #LCDd -d MtxOrb "--contrast 200"

my script now looks like this:

#! /bin/sh
#
# skeleton      example file to build /etc/init.d/ scripts.
#               This file should be used to construct scripts for
/etc/init.d.
#
#               Written by Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@cistron.nl>.
#               Modified for Debian GNU/Linux
#               by Ian Murdock <imurdock@gnu.ai.mit.edu>.
#
# Version:      @(#)skeleton  1.8  03-Mar-1998  miquels@cistron.nl
#

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
DAEMON=/usr/local/bin/LCDd
CLIENT=/usr/local/bin/lcdproc
NAME=lcdproc
DESC="LCDproc"

test -f $DAEMON || exit 0

cfg=/etc/lcdproc.conf
contrast="200"
cmdlnc=
cmdlnd=
if [ -f $cfg ]; then
  . $cfg
  if [ "$runatboot" == "no" ]; then exit 0; fi
  if [ -n "$server" ]; then cmdlnc="$cmdlnc -s $server"; fi
  if [ -n "$port"   ]; then cmdlnc="$cmdlnc -p $port"; fi
  if [ -n "$driver" ]; then cmdlnd="$cmdlnd -d $driver"; fi
  if [ -n "$device" ]; then cmdlnd="$cmdlnd -d $device"; fi
  if [ -n "$contrast" ]; then cmdlnd="$cmdlnd \"--contrast 200\" "; fi
  if [ -n "$modes" ]; then cmdlnc="$cmdlnc $modes"; fi
fi

set -e

case "$1" in
  start)
        echo -n "Starting $DESC: "
        $DAEMON $cmdlnd &
        $CLIENT $cmdlnc &
        echo "$NAME."
        ;;
  stop)
        echo -n "Stopping $DESC: "
        kill `pidof -o %PPID lcdproc`
        echo "$NAME."
        ;;
  restart|force-reload)
        echo -n "Restarting $DESC: "
        kill `pidof -o %PPID lcdproc`
        sleep 1
        $DAEMON $cmdline &
        echo "$NAME."
        ;;
  *)
        N=/etc/init.d/$NAME
        echo "Usage: $N {start|stop|restart|force-reload}" >&2
        exit 1
        ;;
esac

exit 0