Re: iMac: boot Debian Linux from CD-ROM

Hi Ethan,

thanks a lot for the reply
(1) booting with the 'c' key held down doesn't work. It boots to MAC OS
after checking the cdrom, then my two hard drive partitions (one of which
is empty, the one if want to put debian linux on!) I tried both CDs,
either holding down the 'c' key all the time, or at different times
during the boot
(2) so I might have the wrong CDs. They are the "The latest release of
Debian is 2.1 released on 9 March 2000. This CD contains
the everything to install a Debian Linux operating system". I'm quoting
from the vendor web page, Edmund enterprises. Elsewhere they say it's the
official release, Debian 2.1. Of course it's the slink version. I bought
those despite the scarcity of information because they're the cheapest,
but it does me no good if they're the wrong CD's. Money for me is an issue
only as a principle: although I've paid $$$$$ for a new iMac, I want to
install linux on it as cheaply as possible. Try to figure out why... :)
(3) can slink work on an newworld iMac G3 350MHz? Or must I get potatoe?
(4) do I need ybin/yaboot to boot from CD ROM? I think not.
(5) of course I want to install it, and I had been using Ethan's FAQ's on
ybin/yaboot, but I thought I'd first start with just booting from CD ROM.
Makes sense, doesn't it?
(6) how can I find out if my CDs are MAC bootable? on CD#2, there are
two binary files that are 'MAC utilities'. Binary code is getting less and
less readable these days...   their names
are: .../binary-I/net/MACGATE_.DEB and .../binary-I/otherosf/MACUTILS.DEB
(7) if I've got the wrong CDs, could someone
suggest to me a vendor they're happy with?

thank you all,

Philip