Re: Suggestion: more frequent list archive updates

Mark Phillips <mark@ist.flinders.edu.au> wrote:
>I am currently not subscribed to debian-user simply because I don't
>have the disk space to handle all the messages.  So what I do is read
>it via the archives.  The problem is that there is a day or two lag
>between a message being sent and it appearing in the archive.  This
>delay makes interactive use of the list difficult.
>
>The thought I had was: why not make the archive much more responsive?
>Why not update it every few minutes?  Now perhaps there are good
>reasons why this is not possible????  But I would have thought it
>wouldn't be too hard.

Please suggest this somewhere like debian-www, where there are people
who can do something about it, unlike here. :)

I suspect that it's just about possible if you tweak the tools used to
do it a bit; otherwise threading is a major overhead. (Note that every
message may have to have its individual HTML document rewritten when the
threading changes, due to having links to followups and references and
so on.)

>Surely a web based interface to the list is a more efficient way to go
>in any case?

Eww. No. Whatever else HTTP may be, it's not efficient compared to mail.
Convenient for some, maybe - but I personally couldn't stand to use the
Debian mailing lists if a web interface were the only one available, and
I suspect a fair proportion of developers feel the same.

(I gateway the Debian lists to local newsgroups. Very nice, stunningly
convenient.)